Friday, October 17, 2014

The Not so Obvious Perks of Being Left Behind

If I lived in any other place, being the only one left in town over a school break would pretty much be awful. However, I live in Park City, UT and being the only one still in town over break is awesome. As my older sister is most likely sleeping and dreaming up a fantasy on the tropical island of Hawaii, I have fortunately been granted the wish of being left home. Alone. 
The endless line of cars on a school
morning.
Benefit #1: Escape From Traffic
The endless line of empty pavement
on a school break morning.
Over the recent years, as most of my followers know, Park City has been becoming overpopulated. Locals now have to give themselves and extra ten minutes just to get from Kimball Junction to Park Meadows due to traffic. I run into this in parking lots at the grocery store, on small neighborhood roads, and even at 6:45 am as I drive to school. The one and only time to escape traffic is over school breaks. I noticed the change this morning as I was driving to cross country practice and turned the bend into town expecting to see the usual morning traffic. Instead I was grateful to see the absence of bumper to bumper traffic. I can’t help but feel sorry for my best friend most likely stuck in a line of countless vehicles and unpleasant honks in Los Angelus, California. 

Benefit #2: Undisturbed Hikes
Because Park City is filled with active people, the numerous trails seem to overcrowded especially at this time of the year. Word spreads rapidly through this town about the opening of a new trail and the locals quickly head to see for themselves what the new trail will offer. I sometimes find it fun to run into different friends each time I go on a hike. Having said that, it is also very peaceful to go on a hike and not run into a single person the entire way. If you are one of the people who need these calming hikes then don’t plan any vacations over your next school break! Once all the UEAers leave, the trails are practically yours. I took advantage of this and went for a trail run yesterday. I didn’t see a single soul the entire way. Actually, I guess that was a lie because I did run into a moose!
Lost Prospector Trail. 

Benefit #3: I’m an Only Child
As I mentioned before, my older sister Nicole got invited to spend UEA break on the beautiful island of Oahu. I am obviously jealous so I don’t need to waste time trying to convince myself that her trip will be horrible. Instead, I have decided to spend my thoughts on creating reasons why being an only child is way more superior than any trip to any scorching hot and humid island in the middle of the Pacific ocean. Because I am only a freshmen, I clearly cannot drive, legally. But the absence of the other child has opened up a lot of free time for my parents. I pretty much look at them as chauffeurs at my beck and call. To add to that, my mom bakes when she is bored. Lets just say the cookie jar is completely full and is ready to be refilled at any point of time. I am totally jealous of actual only children because their lives must be like a dream.

I am not looking forward to Sunday and not just because it is the last day of break. Sunday is also the day that lines of vehicles form, trails are again occupied, and the life of an only child ends. If you are wondering I have already made arrangements for Nicole’s absence over Spring Break. Life is good as an only child in a lonely town.

No comments:

Post a Comment