Tuesday, March 17, 2015

"Very Superstitious, Writings on the Wall"

Superstitious (adj): Having or showing a belief in an excessively credulous faith in and reverence for supernatural beings.

There are an uncountable number of superstitions in the modern day world. Of course there is seeing a black cat on halloween. Or picking up your feet over railroad tracks. And my all time favorite, holding your breath as you pass a cemetery. I mean, we might as well all be granted bad luck because there is no way someone can hold their breath that long.

FACTOID: The average person cannot hold their breath for more than thirty seconds. 

Yeah, I looked it up. 
Beans are life.
(Photo Courtesy of MySnackShop)

Superstition Number 1: 
I sit here eating my green beans, delicately sliced avocado, gourmet chicken, and lightly buttered pasta with a sprinkle of parmesan. This is the exact same thing I eat before every track meet or cross country race. I didn’t even think I was superstitious! 

Superstition Number 2: 
During the fall we had to do a time trial to determine who would be running Varsity at our first cross country meet. The night before I decided to paint my nails this shiny light pink color. If I am being completely honest, at the time I just thought it would look good as my hands swung when I ran. From there on out I always painted my nails that same color, it was lucky!

Superstition Number 3: 
It was my second race of the season, not that it really mattered but I was wearing my hot pink sports bra and matching underwear. Actually I guess it did matter, and it always will. The whole entire race I was just seconds behind the leader. Then at the last second I sprinted to passed her. I’d like to say that right before my kick I looked down at my sports bra and it gave me the encouragement and the energy to run faster. But that didn’t happen. I just wear that sports bra every race simply because I believe when something good happens you must follow the same EXACT routine to make it happen again. #Superstitious.

Superstition Number 4: 
Cheesin' at Herriman because we finished without upchucking! 
This is the last of my superstitions and I have to give all the credit to mother dearest. I was loading the bus to head down to Herriman, the utterly most dreadful course to ever exist on this planet. If that was a hyperbole you would know because I never fail to remind you when I am using my literary devices. It’s no hyperbole, trust me. As I climbed up the stairs on the bus my mom sneaked a little pack of Sport Beans into my bag. She said they would just give me that final boost at Herriman. Even though I thought the beans were stupid I still decided to eat them. It was true the beans did help, actually they are probably the only thing that got me up Herriman’s insane hill. I would like to say that I am going to use them there again next year but I have already planned to be sick that day. I hate that hill with a passion and some magical beans will not ever change it. However, I still take the beans every meet, it’s even become a team joke. “Liza’s got to take her beans!”


Honestly, I don't necessarily believe in the whole superstitious thing but just like everyone else, I am to scared to see what happens if I don’t follow them. Except for those text messages that say if you don’t do something you will have bad luck for the rest of your life. I’m simply too good for those. 

No comments:

Post a Comment