Thursday, March 26, 2015

Working Hard to Conquer Hard Work

This quarter Mr. Parker, being the jubilant man he is, assigned us to write eight blog posts. EIGHT WHOLE BLOGS POSTS! I didn't think I could do it, I mean that is at least one post per week and I am a very busy girl. HOWEVER, here I sit and what am I doing? Writing post numero ocho. #proudmoment. 

Ya know, I have to say that sometimes Mr. Parker's class almost makes me cry because of how stressed I am. That was a lie, it DOES make me cry. I have multiple times throughout the year. So the real question is, why would I ever take a class that causes so much fraught? Well, to begin with I would like to say that I learned the word "fraught" while writing a vital vocab. earlier this year. So that can be reason number one I guess. 

Obviously vital vocab. isn’t the only thing we do for that class. So, I better come up with some other reasons. 

The Park City Ski Team Team Room. 
The Park City Ski Team has a locker room at the ski resort that all the athletes have available to store their equipment. Each member of the ski team has their own locker. Some people, including myself, choose to purchase a plaque to put on their locker in which a remembrance, owner's name, or quote may be displayed. Anyway, every single day I walk passed the same lockers, perusing each plaque, and every single day the same one catches my eye. Its plaque reads, "The harder I work, the luckier I get." I have decided this is going to be my life motto because "hard work" can truly get you anywhere in life. And I have without a doubt learned the true definition of "hard work" through the three quarters I have had Mr. Parker as a teacher. 

I have spoken with multiple upcoming freshman who say they are not going to take Honors English because they think they are inept and simply not “smart” enough. I tell every single one of them the same thing: “Mr. Parker’s class is about 1/5 pure intelligence and about 4/5 time management and hard work. It is hardly the matter of how “smart” you are, it is how much time you are willing to put into one class.”

Right now, I have a myriad of things on my to do list. And, I would say over half of them are for English. I have to study for a test, read a book, memorize a speech, write an essay, and finish my blog all by next week. I admit, it is difficult to get all of these tasks done, but it is not impossible. And when I do get them done, it feels that much better. 

I am a straight A student, but I was dubious towards whether this class would ruin the streak. I admit that I almost chickened out last minute, however I did not. And I can now proudly say taking Honors English 9 is one of the best decisions I have ever made. 

I have already signed up to take Creative Writing next year. Partially because I have learned to love to write, but mostly because it is taught by THE Mr. Parker. 

I highly encourage all upcoming students, like any of you are reading this, to take Honors English in your 9th grade year. It is not only a class that prepares you for future English classes in High School or College, but it is a class that will prepare you for life… Where late work is never acceptable!


*As a side note for all you oblivious people, I would like to say that I used seven vital vocabulary words in this blog post. How deft of me… Make that eight.* 

1 comment:

  1. Nice VV! And I'm so pleased to hear you're taking CW next year. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete